If you are open-minded and do not fear harm to your reputation, then there is a way to receive a world-class education for free. In order to explain how, we must first observe two phenomena:
- The internet provides us with immediate and abundant access to experts in all fields.
- We have a psychological need to correct stupid statements.
We will use these facts to create an individualized, graduate-level curriculum taught exclusively by the leaders of any field.
All you need to do is be an intentional idiot. Here are the steps:
- Find an internet forum dedicated to the topic you wish to study.
- Start a thread that offers terribly inaccurate advice to novices. Declare with certainty.
- The comment section will fill with experts on that subject emphatically correcting your idiotic advice. This is the goldmine. Scholars and experienced practitioners will clearly lay out everything you need to know about the subject. In many cases they will even debate amongst themselves, in doing so highlighting relevant controversies and opportunities for more research.
- If you need to drill down on a particular, simply challenge a expert with a qualified assertion like, “well that may be true, but then why X.” They will happily (angrily) get into the nitty-gritty.
- Take notes!
- When you feel satisfied with your expert tutorial, close out the thread by saying that you stand corrected, repeat back what you’ve heard (helps the commenters feel understood), and thank them for a new perspective. This is important. Experts spend most of their time arguing with other experts, so for them, the greatest feeling in the world is convincing somebody else that they are right. Since you are piggy-backing on their hard work, they deserve that gift.
This is how you troll for a world-class education.
I haven’t seen this method described anywhere else. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
To see trolling for education in action, check out this Reddit thread on avocados.